Periodontics, or the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of gum disease, is a vitally important part of Dr. Nico’s practice. As a holistic dentist, Dr. Nico’s team works with you in the Los Angeles and Whittier offices to develop an oral hygiene regimen that is as healthy for your teeth and gums as it is for the rest of your body.
Every person’s “normal” is different, but generally healthy gum tissue is pink and firm. If your gums begin to look darker or redder, it could be the sign that periodontal disease is beginning to develop. As inflammation progresses, the gums may appear even more red and swollen. They may be painful and you may see blood on your toothbrush and floss.
Preventing and reversing symptoms
Advanced gum disease or periodontitis can cause irreversible bone loss. Home hygiene practices and products customized to your needs, as well as professional intervention using the latest diagnostic tools and gentle dentistry techniques ensure the worst doesn’t happen. Ask yourself if you practice the following habits for healthy teeth, gums, and body:
- Do I brush twice daily, for at least two minutes each time?
- Do I brush my gums and tongue, not just my teeth?
- Have I been flossing at least once a day?
- Do I floss diligently, but not aggressively to avoid further gum irritation?
- Do I consume drinks besides water all at once, instead of sipping and letting sugars in drinks combine with mouth bacteria to produce destructive acids?
While six-month check-ups are standard, your mouth is unique. Dr. Nico may recommend more frequent visits. Cleanings by the hygienist often accompany check-ups. Only professionals have the tools to properly remove plaque after it has hardened. Call (844) 920-2255 to schedule a consultation in Los Angeles or (844) 899-8080 for a consultation in Whittier.